Re: [LUG] slow down?

Simon Robert wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm having a problem with the internet on my Mum's PC. It's running
> ubuntu 9.04 and is a bog standard 32 bit 386 machine.
>
> <snip>
<tongue in cheek>
Ahh that's the problem, you're trying to use a 386.  I presume a 386DX?

Maybe it's time to upgrade to something a bit newer, perhaps a Pentium
60? (just don't try any floating point stuff on it)

</tongue in cheek>

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Anyway, seriously, is the network on board?  What chipset is the network
card?

I had a problem with Ubuntu 8.04 I think (or it may have been 7.10) with
the onboard Realtek network card, it had similar sorts of problems and
eventually I sorted it by disabling the driver which shipped in the
distro and compiling the Realtek driver from scratch which came from the
Realtek site.

Otherwise, have you got a PCI network card you can stick in to see if
that makes any difference.  Also it may be worth trying to change the
card settings from auto detecting the speed and duplex to maybe
something like 100Mbit half or full duplex as in some cases the card may
not be able to negotiate a stable speed with the router.

Hope this helps anyway, if not I have an old 486 kicking around in the
garage I think :-)

Rob