Re: [LUG] Green Light for faster broadband

On Thu, 6 Aug 2009, John Hansen wrote:

> alex mclennan wrote:
>> John Hansen wrote:
>>
>>> Ofcom have cleared BT to invest in faster BB :
>>>
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7919904.stm
>>>

>>> John W
>>>

>> hi all,surely you forget this does not apply to us we all live south of
>> bristol,add ten years to the original year quoted.
>> or am i being cynical.alex the not so noob
>>

> Alex,
>
> You may well be correct in your views on BT. However it is a fact that
> the high speed cables that connect the UK to North America lie in
> the ground less that 3 miles from here. They leave UK at Widemouth
> Bay outside Bude and work has actually been ongoing over the last
> few weeks. We may be surprised if we keep our fingers crossed ;-)

Why rejoice because there are local cables going to the US? You can't
exactly break ino them unless you pay the cable companys lots of money. It
simply doesn't happen. They'll get ducted to London/Manchester (via the
A30 and A38) then you can connect into them - even then who are you going
to connect to? You can't just connect into a bit of fibre and expect it to
be "The Internet".

In 1996 I was working for an ISP and we ran our own trans-atlantic cables
(or rather rented bandwidth off the carriers) and I remember we all
cheered the day our UK traffic exceeded our US traffic. I'd be very much
surprised now if that had reversed - most of the content we get is sourced
in the UK or Europe. (Or I'd like to think it was)

Gordon