Re: [LUG] Free BT iPlate thingy ..

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009, Rob Beard wrote:

John Hansen wrote:
Being on BT Total BB I have ordered an Accelerator at the amazing price
of £0.00
+p&p totalling £1.20. I am very keen to find out if it actually will make any
difference ;-)

I;ve heard that they can make a bit of difference, but as far as I'm aware you need one of the NTE5 Master socket. I was interested in getting one just so I didn't have to have a filter hanging out of the socket but I don't have an NTE5 Master socket and I believe that it's illegal to go changing the sockets yourselves (had to be done by a BT
engineer).

It's not actually illegal, but it's against BT's T&Cs and if they catch you, they can charge you the full-whack for a site-visit and re-install.

Saying that, if you know what you're doing, fitting your own new NTE5 master socket is relatively easy (just need a screwdriver) and in my experience, if it's done neatly then a BT engineer isn't going to notice or say anything.

And I didn't read-on about the iPlate only being free for BT customers. Bother. I guess everyone else will just have to cut the wire on pin 3 ...

I've bought stuff from solwise in the past:

  http://www.solwise.co.uk/telesun-extension-sockets.htm

and
  http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm

So a new 3-part NTE5 is £4.69

Broadband buyer also has some bits & pieces -

  http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/default_ShopGroup.asp?ShopGroupID=40

iPlate for £7.80.

Gordon