Re: [LUG] OT- Freesat-Internet

John Hansen wrote:
> I wonder whether it is possible to use the satellite dish
> to connect to the internet and if so how?
> It would perhaps solve the problem of slow connection speed
> in rural areas.
>
> Who knows about such matters?
>
> John W

This may give you some more info:
http://www.satsig.net/uk-satellite-broadband.htm

In a word yes it is possible.  I believe that Eurobird offer satellite
internet access although I don't think it's on the satellites that are
positioned at 28.5° east which is used for Freesat and Sky transmissions
(actually I'm pretty certain Sky use 28.2° east on Astra).

Doing a bit more of a search, SES Astra do offer internet via Satellite
called Astra2Connect which is at 23.5° east (Astra 1E).  The UK supplier
for this can be found at http://www.beyondsl.net

You have to bear in mind though that it isn't cheap.  First of all you
need the equipment (satellite dish pointing at 23.5° east, the satellite
modem, LNB to send and receive) which is about £300, installation is
quoted at £100 (although I'm sure you could probably get a local
satellite installer to do this cheaper), activation is another £50 and
delivery is £15.

Then there is the cost, 256KBit/sec is £17.49 a month, 512KBit is £24.99
a month etc.  Certainly not as cheap as broadband over a BT line.  There
is also quite a delay in sending and receiving data (well it does have
to travel hundreds and thousands of miles) so gaming is pretty much out
of the question, and I would assume other applications which require low
latency connections would also suffer.

So yeah it is available, but if you can get broadband down a BT line
already, even if it's only 512K then you're probably going to be better off.

Rob