Re: [LUG] Own Asterisk Server

On Sun, 2 Aug 2009, tom wrote:

Edwin Rhodes wrote:
Hello can I setup FreePBX in a virtual machine and use it to setup a group
of ciso phones for both internal calls and external via sip to other
people??? I presume pstn cards are needed to connect to phone network or can
I configure the phones to connect using sip to the phone network? Very new
to this pbx thing. Thanks ed.

You don't need phones - you can use £3 headsets - some say these are not
as good as phones but if you want to reduce desk clutter in an office
... and watch U-tube without disturbing everyone.... Try one with
audacity to see how it sounds to you.

He's already indicated that he's got Cisco phones - that suggests to me that it's an office situation - personally I feel that proper phones are much better than soft-phones. No PC/Laptop required for a start. I have one customer who started with soft-phones. They're in the process of migrating to desk phones.

I tried it with a headset for a while - too bothersome. Didn't want the software to pop-up every time a call came in either. And I don't listen to music anyway, but that's jsut me.

I have a few customers with headsets connected to desk phones. There's a very nice Plantronics DECT headset... Costs more than most desk phones though )-:

You don't need to a phone line - there are services that you can access
that will connect you to the PSTN should you require - last time I
looked the pricing was quite good but that assumed you weren't paying
for the phone line you've probably already got for your broadband. But
if you can steal an open wireless connection....

*sticks fingers in ears* La la la la la la ...

Prices are still good, even when paying for the phone line. If your objective is to save money then there are easier ways than VoIP to achieve this. See http://www.18866.co.uk/ for one of dozens of indirect operators for example.

Gordon