Re: [LUG] CE marking for PC building?

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Rob Beard wrote:

Gordon Henderson wrote:
Anyone here know anything about CE marking which would appear to apply to
anyone building PCs from compoments then selling them on...

Even (AIUI) taking a standard PC, putting a PCI card in it, then selling
it on would need to re-CE the unit as a whole. It seems bonkers, but there
you go.

Ahh I remember this from years back, about 1996 when it was first
introduced.  I think technically to mark something as CE approved the
manufacturer of the PC (basically the PC builder) has to as you say send
the machine away for certficiation.

I'd be surprised that many system builders do this though, as you say if
someone adds a PCI card to a PC (say for instance PC World if they are
adding something to a PC before a customer purchases it) then I doubt
they'd send it off for approval.

IIRC the company I worked for when this all came about found that as
long as they used only CE approved components they would be okay.  I've
not heard of anyone being caught out by doing this, and considering how
many different components are out there and how many combinations you
(or a customer) could come up with, I wouldn't think it would be cost
effective to send a PC away every time to get certified on each
variation of components.

It's 3 months in jail and a £5000 fine if you get caught.

Been reading, etc. going to get in-touch with a business-link adviser. Basically it's going to cost me about £600 for an EM emissions check and about £1000 in total to get a conslutant to do the paperwork, although I think I can self-certify, but who knows.

An irksome bother.

Gordon