Re: [LUG] Linux at Specsavers

Paul Sutton wrote:

> Rob Beard wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I went for an eye test today at Spec Savers.  I'd read that they were
>> moving over to RedHat Enterprise a while back in Linux Format and low
>> and behold, they do have it in their eye test rooms.  Touch screen and
>> bar code reader worked lovely and it even had another screen to replace
>> the old boxes with letters, it's now just a nice lovely LCD monitor on
>> Linux. :-)
>>
>> Rob
>>

> If we ever get some sort of meet organised that is open to the public
> and we are able to do presentations to promote OSS it would be good to
> get someone  along to give a talk on using linux in their business.  I
> remember a talk at the school in exeter on moving the met office,  so
> perhaps something similar for spec savers,
>
> it would highlight how linux is being used in the real world.
>
> Paul

Well as much as that would be good, I doubt anyone at the local
Specsavers store would be able to actually do a talk on it, you'd need
one of the technical bods really.  As far as the staff are concerned by
the looks of things, it's just a computer which they use (the app they
use is Java based so it would work just as well on Windows and Mac).

Rob