Re: [LUG] startx fails

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 14:29:39 +0100
Brad Rogers wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Using laptop currently......
>
> I've just built a new Debian (testing) based system which, as can be
> guessed from the subject line fails to go into graphical mode.
>
> xorg.conf is empty, and monitor complains of out of range signals
> (fair enough).  Running dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg fails to ask
> any video related questions, adding -phigh produces complaints about
> --print-installation-architecture being an obsolete option and to use
> --print-architecture instead.  Neither of which are dpkg-reconfigure
> options, AFAICT.
>
> Running dexconf simply produces sections like this;
>
> Section "Device"
>       Identifier "Configured Video Device"
> EndSection
>
> So, I'm stuck.  Video chipset is NVidia GeForce 8300 and monitor is LG
> W2042S with specs;
>
> Horiz  28 - 83 kHz
> Vert   56 -75 Hz
> Screen res 1680 x 1050 is optimum, according to the manual.
>

> I tried Googling for settings to go in the relevant sections of
> xorg.conf, but quickly discovered I knew nowhere near enough to be
> able to debug errors.
>
> I did get some advice from the Debian ML, but the results were not
> favourable.  The file produced by running Xorg -config didn't improve
> matters, sadly.  Plugging in Sync & Refresh rates into "Device" and
> "Monitor" sections didn't improve matters, either.
>

> Any help getting X up and running will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Brad.

Hi Brad,

I have found that Knoppix's auto-config tool is pretty good at getting
the settings right.  On the odd occasion that I have fallen into a
similar trap as yourself, I have booted-up Knoppix (or a Knoppix
derivative) and copied the Knoppix-generated xorg.conf.  It hasn't
*always* worked, but it seems to work well enough a lot of the time.

Of course, once you have a working xorg.conf, you can tweak it... so
long as you make backups!

Grant.