Re: [LUG] OT: Harvesting address from Outlook

Come, come it is not that bad...

You are speaking of the undocumented .nk2 file

You copy it into the correct place on the new machine, sometimes your need to rename
the files as Outlook gives these files names dependant on the installation (and I
haven't worked out the logic yet)

So:

If you are talking XP go into C:\documents and settings\USERNAME\application
data\microsnot\outlook

is where it lives.

However, it depends how the profiles are being put onto the client machines. If you
have roaming profiles you will need to put the file in the right place on the
server. I don't know about that.

If you are just creating new profiles in Outlook to link to the exchange server.
-Run Outlook once to get all the file and folders synced to the local machine.
-Then try sending a test email. This should create a new .nk2 file.
-Now copy in the old .nk2 file found above in its place with the name of the "new"
one. (I hope you see what you are doing)
-Now try writing a new email and the drop down list should magically reappear...

Easy.

Trevor

~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi all,

In the soul-destroying battle that is moving people in the office to a
Windows Server environment with Exchange, I have come up against
another question...

Outlook remembers the email addresses of people you have previously
sent email to.  When you create a new email and start typing in the
"To" field, it gives you a list of those addresses it knows about.
These addresses do not have to be in the user's "address book".

Is there either an application that can harvest these addresses, or a
way to export them (so they can be imported again contacts)?

Cheers.
Grant.