[LUG] Wireless Access Point as a Router?

Hi,

I need a Wireless Access Point (WAP) to allow my Laptop to connect to the
LinuxMCE System I'm building but was wondering (as I will have one spare
shortly) is there any reason why I couldn't use a Wireless Router having
turned off the ADSL and DHCP facilities in it? (LinuxMCE does its own
internal DHCP).

I'm guessing a WAP is simply a Router/Switch with Wi-Fi Connectivity?

Regards,
Dave.