[LUG] Manchester City Council loose lots of money due to Conficker worm

Hi folks,

I thought this might interest you all.  Looks like Manchester City
Council was hit by the Conficker worm and the infection cost the council
about £1.5 million.

They couldn't issue 1,609 parking tickets within the statutory limit of
28 days which cost them £43,000, consultancy fees to clean it up cost
about another £600,000 (I'm thinking WTF!?!?), they spent an additional
£600,000 on Wyse terminals (I wonder if they are Linux or *nix based?)
plus another £169,000 on extra staff to cover the backlog of benefit claims.

I think this comment in reply to the article is the best:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/01/conficker_council_infection/comments/#c_527595

Still I wonder how many companies factor in the extra for things like
worms and stuff into the TCO of Windows.  Maybe this council should
replace their systems with a couple of old IBM mainframes and dumb text
terminals.

Rob