Re: [LUG] [OT] Libertarianism - was "Watching the results trickle in ..."

2009/6/16 James Fidell <james@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Tom Potts wrote:
>
>> Party membership is open to all those:...
>> who are not members of any organisation whose objectives are incompatible with
>> those of the Party
>
> Not exactly very libertarian, is it? :)

Libertarianism is founded on the rule of law and the right to
privately contract without impediment. You are free not to join if
your aims and ideology are incompatible with that of the party. Seeing
as by membership you are viewed as representing the party to some
extent, this seems fair.

Have you read their constitution? It seems, at face, to be legalistic
and restrictive... but then so may the GPL. Rules and agreements are
necessary and good, provided they are voluntarily entered into, above
all in the political/societal sphere.

The rules governing who may run for office are even more "draconian".
I can't find the source right now, but IIRC any such person undertakes
to not employ any family member with public funds, to keep public
records of expenses, etc.... Personally, I'd be in favour of those
that propose to govern signing contracts that assure their liability
should they be found guilty of misconduct.