Re: [LUG] Wireless router recommendations...

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009, Julian Hall wrote:

Rob Beard wrote:
What you want then is something like what Gordon was showing us at the
LUG meeting.  IIRC it was a little AMD Geode based box about the size of
a router and only uses about 4 Watts.

Other than that though, to be honest I've never had any major problems
with Netgear stuff.  You're on ADSL aren't you?

I found the Netgear DG834G to be really good, I dare say you could pick
one up for under £50 these days too (I paid about £90 for mine from
Argos about 3 years ago and it was still going strong when I took it out
and replaced it with a BT Home Hub).

Rob

Not a bad guess :)

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/52244

Netgear DG834G - £44.99 delivered from Ebuyer.

Depends on what you're after and how much effort you want to put in to building it :)

My boxes cost about £130 to build - then you'll need an ADSL modem unless you're on cable. (Although I did notice some modems from adslnation at just £15)

The motherboard I'm using:

  http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11818

If anyone wants a Linux kernel (or just the .config) for them, let me know. I can make every feature of the motherboard work except for reading the little button on the front panel. It's even got userland software control of the LEDs!

Gordon