[LUG] CRM hosting, Drupal, VPS and web hosts [OT?]

Folks, this might seem a bit OT but I've been hunting for weeks and I'm well stuck.

I'm looking into a new host for a new LAMPP website with new bulk mailing software.  I plan on Drupal + custom build or possibly a drupal module for CRM where the most important feature is contact and bulk customer email [to subscribed customers: I'm not a spammer!].

There are some great webhosting packages around but it seems that in order to handle bounces, I need a mailserver configurable to handle VERP and pass results directly to the webserver+software and for that I'll need either dedicated hardware (too expensive) or a VPS.

I'm looking at a TSOhost LAMPP package which can host drupal and offers more than enough domains/subdomains/disk space/bandwidth/databases/cycles but does not allow the necessary mailserver configuration.  [it's £99 per year and I'm going to share it; provides a "jailshell", control panel, PHPmyadmin, rsync; most of what I need]

So does anyone know of
a) good, genuinely (e.g. not SugarCRM or forks) open source CRM/mailshot software that we can install on the webserver and that will play with drupal (if not integrate seamlessly with it) and allow us to track opens, clickthroughs and bounces [but not CiviCRM; that's a nightmare and far too complex for its own good: I did use it to send out a substantial email to our database and it failed dramatically];
b) inexpensive VPS hosting for a mailserver; this bit does not need to be so powerful as its main purpose will be to handle smtp requests and send responses to appropriate places based on the return traffic.

As y'all can probably tell, I don't know too much about this subject but it surely does not need to cost a mint to host a website and mailserver that can handle bounces via VERP??

Thanks for any replies!
Matthew.
--
Matthew Fairtlough