[LUG] CD drive spindown (or lack of)

Morning all.

My CD drive is being really annoying. If there's a CD in it, it will
spin up to full speed (on boot or when inserted) and stay at full RPM
indefinitely. CD drives are noisy at full speed!

There are 2 things I don't understand.
1. Why does it never spin down?
2. Why is it spinning at full RPM?

I know spinning up and down is time consuming (and potentially disk
damaging), but surely maintaining a constant full speed isn't necessary.
What's wrong with decreasing to half speed or something that doesn't
make so much noise? And after 20 minutes of inactivity I would have
figured the drive would have worked out that it wasn't being used.

It's practically the same on windows too, though that does spin down
eventually I think. It's also the same with my friends CD drive in his
machine (Windows and Linux).

Have CD drive manufacturers gone digital with speed or something? Where
are the intermediate speeds?

Any thoughts? So far I've resorted to physically removing the CD to shut
it up, but this is really backwards.

Thanks.
Simon