Re: [LUG] Controlling devices from Ubuntu

On Thu, 21 May 2009, Mick Vaites wrote:

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had any guidance on controlling devices from
Linux. I am pretty much certain I¹ll be going the USB route but I¹m not sure
about modules/support etc or even where you¹d get them these days.

Whilst this might sound sad I inherited some chilli plants and having
connected the obligatory webcam. I thought it¹s been years since I built
anything computerish controlled so the next step has got to be keeping track
of temperature and and perhaps even the watering.

Heh good luck! I've really no idea what's available for IO control stuff via USB or other. It's fairly easy to drive a parallel port though.

I've just got a new PBX mobo (running Linuxm of-course) which has 3 LEDs on the front which I can control via software by writing to the LED files in /sys. Great stuff - I've not actually been able to do that for years. Simple things keep me amused I guess :) Currently it's monitoring the number of calls through the PBX - but 3 LEDs - how many regular office people can count in binary ... Now I need more LEDs as this box supports 85 calls )-:

Maybe I'll dig out my Mindstorms box and do something in Lego..

And I do wish you wouldn't put Ubuntu in the subject - I know everyone here seems to like Ubuntu (except me). I'd already hit delete before my curiosity got the better of me. If it works under Unubtu why won't it work under any other distribution?

Gordon