Re: [LUG] New computer: RAM, CPU

Simon Waters wrote:
> So we can assume Windows 7 will have the higher spec by induction -
> which in release candidate Microsoft say:
>
> A PC with these system requirements:
>
>     *      1 GHz or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
>     *      1 GB RAM (32-bit) / 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
>     *      16 GB available disk space (32-bit) / 20 GB (64-bit)
>     *      DirectX 9 graphics processor with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
>
> So at least 2GB of RAM, almost any modern processor (x86 family) and
> disk drive, and a fancy 3D graphics card should do the trick.
>
> Looks to me like graphics card is the hard choice, I'll bow to those who
> know which have free software drivers that work well with Kubuntu
I've put Windows 7 Beta on a test system with a 1.1Ghz Duron 1Gb RAM and
a 256Mb AGP graphics card.  It actually ran at a decent speed, so I'm
hopeful MS won't snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.  Having said
that, from past experience that may not be a very realistic hope :)

The key thing for good performance seems to be a good graphics card.
Certainly CPU and RAM issues *sem* to have been fixed since the foul-up
that was Vista.

Kind regards,

Julian