Re: [LUG] How does MailMan send?

Grant Sewell wrote:

> Thanks, Al.  We're looking into different tools to aid in our
> email-shots... potentially upto 20,000 recipients.  Last time we did
> this it brought out current mail server to its knees.  We're thinking
> about moving all mass-email functions to a separate, under-used machine
> (ie one that won't actually affect our users if it grinds to a halt),
> but if we're doing a big change like this we might as well look at
> alternatives for managing the list of recipients.

It takes a little work depending on the level of functionality that you
need, but I think 20,000 isn't too bad at all.  I used to send to a list
of 25,000 addresses from a live webserver without significantly
impacting performance.  It did take three or four hours, but that was
because I'd slowed down submission to even out performance a bit.

I set up a server a few months back for someone who claimed they wanted
to send around 300,000 emails per day through it.  They still seem to be
happy that it's doing the job.  They are generating the emails elsewhere
though; this box just takes messages from a trusted source and does the
delivery.

Some people use mailman to run very big lists.  I'd certainly not put
money on it utterly failing to cope with a list with 20,000 subscribers.

James