[LUG] OT: Digital switchover in Torbay and South Devon

Hi folks,

Bit geeky but slightly FLOSS related... I've been following a thread on
Digital Spy about the Torbay & South Devon Digital switchover.  Having
spent a bit of time working in broadcasting when the preparation work
was going on for the switch over I was interested to see what would
happen.  Anyway suffice to say I missed the BBC2 switch off a couple of
weeks ago so this time I was determined to capture the moment for
prosperity.

So... for your viewing pleasure (assuming you're happy to view something
on Youtube - yes I know, Flash, non-free etc) you can watch a clip of
the warning message that appeared to say that the analogue transmissions
would soon cease...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y09rKFCpHHA

Now for the slightly FLOSS related bit... I managed to capture it using
mencoder on my kids PC which was running Ubuntu.  I did try originally
on the wife's PC which was running Windows XP and I couldn't get it to
capture anything.  Took me all of about 2 minutes playing with settings
on Ubuntu.  So I've now left it capturing and hopefully by the morning
I'll have a clip of the big moment when BBC1 gets turned off (I was
hoping to capture ITV and Channel 4 being switched off but I haven't got
enough tuner cards and I don't have a working VCR anymore).

If anyone wants a copy of the clip and the actual video off the
switch-off/over in OGG format let me know and I'll try and convert it.
 From what I can tell it's just capturing raw video from the TV card at
the moment (I just hope the hard drive is big enough!).

Rob