Re: [LUG] Brother printers: firmware upgrade irritation

Henry Bremridge wrote:

> While brother have deb packages for running their printers, scanners
> etc they do not have linux packages for upgrading the firmware of the
> printer.
>
> They only have packages for Windows and Mac. Their actual response
> was "You will not be able to update the firmware using Linux"

Which printer?

Some Brother printers can be upgraded from the printers own web
interface, which is probably a better method for most people and is OS
agnostics (saves writing Windows and Mac versions as well).

I'm sure it isn't insurmountable, since they do such a good job on the
driver front it would be a shame not to be able to recommend them for
something like this.

Note the GNU/Linux drivers from Brother are (at least those I've used)
GPL'ed, not just the convenience of a "deb". Someone should probably
check if they can be included in central repositories.....

  Simon