Re: [LUG] OT: Connecting Blackberry phones to Exchange without Blackberry Enterprise Server?

Grant Sewell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I know this is a Linux list, but I also know many of you have (or
> indeed, do) work(ed) with *that other system*.
>
> Much to my chagrin, my work have decided to go for a Windows SB Server
> 2008 setup - complete with Exchange 2007.  Obviously Windows Mobile
> devices can sync easily using ActiveSync.  Apple iPhones and Nokia S60
> phones can do the same, and do so easily.
>
> However, a number of users have Blackberries.  Currently all the
> company's email is done using POP3 and the Blackberries are configured
> for this too.  I don't really want to go down the route of paying yet
> more for Blackberry Enterprise Server just so a handful of users can
> get their emails on their phones.  Equally, I don't want to open up POP
> or IMAP access to the wider world either.
>
> I have had a look at Funambol, and it looks interesting but I'm not
> entirely sure it's what I'm after.
>
> So... does anyone know of a free ActiveSync tool for Blackberries, or
> an alternative system that works with Exchange and essentially does
> what ActiveSync would do?
>
> Cheers.
> Grant

Doing a quick google search came up with a site which mentioned the
Blackberry Professional Software Express which supposidly does the job
and comes with 1 free CAL and additional CALs are available up to 30
users.  Okay it's not free for extra CALs (doesn't say what price they
are without logging into the site) but it might well save the company a
bit of money.

Or... you could turn round and say you told them so for going down the
more expensive route ;-)

With regards to Funambol, I have had a play with it on eGroupware, it
works pretty well on Thunderbird and Outlook but I couldn't get it
working on Windows Mobile, it kept crashing.  You may be worth just
having a look though.

Rob