Re: [LUG] Non free distribution licences

Robin Cornelius wrote:

> They have drafted a redistribution licence but I am unhappy about a
> couple of points. So at this stage can anyone recommend other packages
> that have these kind of you can redistribute but not take apart/
> disassemble/reverse engineer type of licences I can compare too. My
> current primary reference is the nvidia-glx package in debian/non-free
> which has almost the kind of licence I would expect for this situation.
> But some other references are worth considering.

IANAL

I believe you can't outlaw reverse engineering for purposes of
interoperability.

You can write it into the license, but those clauses are not enforceable
on anyone residing in the EU, or the USA, and probably most other places.

Comes down to what it is they are trying to protect here, and the need
for lawyers.

Unless there is specific hardware involved, i.e. this is general purpose
software, they have copyright, and the most you can do with copyright is
remove peoples right to make copies of it or derivative works.

 Simon