Re: [LUG] Freedom of Information request at Torbay Council

On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 21:19 +0000, tom wrote:

> Well its happened at last .....
>
> Someone has put in FOI request to Torbay Council asking for details
> about which tools we use to power our website and where we use Open Source.
>
> Since they all know my interests at work, my bosses have been putting me
> under the spotlight.
This seems a bit unfair and untrusting since it is now Government policy
to use "open source" wherever possible.

>  Knowing how "political" any discussion of the use
> of Open Source gets in TC I have always declined the temptation to do
> this myself
The merits are less difficult to defend now that the Government has
backed it for Local Government as well as National.
> , although I am glad someone has because it puts Free / Open
> Software back on the agenda.
Hopefully it cannot be taken off so easily now. Against any proposed
development or purchase, questions should now be asked about FLOSS
options.

My MP has asked questions on my behalf to the Minister responsible. I
suggested they fund projects to determine FSW options in areas where
there may be proprietary solutions particular to Government.

I suggest that all the experts on this List who understand the issues
facing adoption, write to their MP with questions for the Minister. If
they don't pass them on, let me have them as mine will. They will
certainly improve on what I can ask!

Keep your head down!

James
--