Re: [LUG] OT: Japan's boffins - Global warming isn't man-made

Ralph Smithen wrote:
> 2009/3/1 Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> The article starts with the factually incorrect "warming has stopped
>> since" argument. Anyone claiming that needs to provide data to
>> contradict the global climate datasets that show things are still warming.
>
> The first hit on googling "global temperature" is the Climate Research
> Unit at UEA's data (compiled with the Met. Office) -
> http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/info/warming/
>  - which indeed shows a decline in global temperature since ~2001.
>
> Which data sets are you referring to?

Go to the page you give.

Click "Download", pick any of these three datasets I tried...

CRUTEMv3
HadCrut3
hadCrutv3

Take the global average data values from 2000 to 2008, calculate a
linear regression.

Do any of these lines not have a positive slope? No

This is the "hypothetical" post 2000 warming trend the article mentions.

I assume the CRU graph that appears to slope downwards is a 5 year
rolling average or some such, so it may suggest a cooling due to a
cooler 2008. But with 2008 being the eighth warmest year on record I
wouldn't start celebrating just yet.