Re: [LUG] OT: Atheros 5005G WiFi card

On Tue, 2009-02-24 at 18:18 +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
> On 24/02/2009 17:58, Julian Hall wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > A bit off-topic, but I can't find the answer on the web and you're such
> > a helpful bunch :)
> >
> > I have a new (to me) laptop with one of the above miniPCI WiFi cards
> > installed in it.  Previously I had my network set up on channel 13 - the
> > highest we can have legally in Europe.  On my other laptop I found the
> > internal card had been shipped with the location 'Antigua' and after
> > changing the location to UK it found my network no trouble.  This card
> > however doesn't seem to have a 'Location' option.  Any ideas?  In the
> > interim I have changed the network channel to 6, but as this is fairly
> > common I'd like to go back to 13 if possible.
> >
> > The new laptop is running Windows XP - no choice unfortunately as I
> > bought it specifically for university where I have to use Office 2007
> > and Visual Studio 6.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Julian
> >

> Have you checked under the driver on Device Manager?  IIRC you can
> specify some driver settings on here so maybe you might be able to
> specify a channel?
>
> Other than that, haven't got a clue off the top of my head.  Both my
> laptop and my other half's laptops have Intel wireless adaptors and the
> ones we use at work either have Intel wireless or Ralink adaptors.
>
> This is a long shot, but maybe some of the drivers on this page might be
> suitable? - http://tinyurl.com/b4773s
>
> Rob

does iwconfig work in Dos?
if not ipconfig should

Perhaps you can change/ see  the channel that way.

The channel info is normally on the advanced part of the NW properties
afrer pressing the wireless button.

IS the device loaded in the Device manager (right click "MY Computer"
sel "Properties" and then "Device Managler")

look at Network devices and see the settings.

If you cant see what driver is needed I get a CD of Knoppix, run it in
Live Mode and the see what NW chips it has found by looking at Dmesg or
lspci

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub) reprieved (possibly!)
Po House, Minions,
Liskeard Cornwall
PL14 5LE
01579363386