Re: [LUG] Printing Remotely

Richard Brown wrote:

> Hope everyone is well. Is it possible to set up my Ubuntu box to allow
> remote printing. More specifically, when I send a file to it, the
> contents are opened and printed, then closed again?

Of course.

These days people use CUPS to do remote printing, but one can use the
older printing protocols from the days of BSD Unix as well if you like
doing stuff the old fashioned way.

CUPS supports IPP so it can share with other operating systems.

Linux (or Unix) to Ubuntu, you add a printer to CUPS on the Ubuntu box
connected to the printer, and ensure that CUPS is configured to share
printers (it is by default on most distros), and then the clients should
 find all the printers on the network.

Most you should have to do is ensure the print server is listening on
port 631, and "browsable", and that the CUPS client knows the IP address
of the server (if it can't just discover it).

If the remote client is on a different network you may have to
open/forward ports (631) in the firewall (from the clients address
only!), as well as telling the client which CUPS server to check.