Re: [LUG] nameservers

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009, stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On 17/02/09 19:16:37, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 Feb 2009, stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone run there own nameservers and if so, do you have recommendations?
>>
>> I do. I'm sure there are others too... What are you after - the software I
>> use (bind9), or recomendations for nameservers to use?
>>

> software to use really, I could (and have) use bind9 but was wondering
> about other solutions people might be using.

Bind (Ought to be BIND, really - Berkeley Internet Name Domain, or named
for short!) has been around for almsot ever, and is well understood so
there is lots of documentation out there for it, and once you've setup the
config file and the first zone file, it's relatively straightforward after
that.

If you want a copy of my config files and sample zone files, just say, but
they're nothing special here.

In a "parking" situation you can even just maintain one zone file and
create links from the other one files to the 'master' zone file too... I
do this occasionally:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 Nov 15 09:58 ddplan.co.uk -> ddplan.com
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 388 Nov 15 09:58 ddplan.com
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 Nov 15 09:58 ddplan.net -> ddplan.com

It's really lazy though, but works OK.

> I am doing some work for someone who has a horrendeous mix of 3rd party
> people doing various bits of the registry and resolving requiring many
> passwords that get forgotten, just trying to simplify his life a bit, he
> also has about 60 domains (don't ask) mostly parked and pointing
> nowhere.

Migrating all the domains into the same registry is well worth it, but can
be a costly exercise. I've done it in the past for companies who have had
different departments register their own things left, right and centre
without care of the central IT people.

I use totalregistrations for all my domain needs - they provide a
registration service, but nothing more than a very general purpose
nameserver system, so I run my own nameservers. Other providers let you
edit the zone files without the need to run your own nameservers. A couple
of my hosting customers use 123-reg - who're not been without issues over
the years, but have have been reasonably stable for some time now...
(tempting fate!!!)

Gordon