Re: [LUG] Damn Small Linux-Turn Off Procedure?

John Hansen wrote:
> I have succeeded in using DSL on my old laptop but am unable
> to find how I switch off the laptop in a controlled manner.
> If any of you know the correct procedure please let me know
> how to. A search of the WIKI did not reveal the procedure
> which may of course be obvious to those who know ;-)
>
> John

Hope this is of use to you and maybe some one else

http://www.computerhope.com/unix/ushutdow.htm

About shutdown

Turn off the computer immediately or at a specified time.

Syntax

shutdown [-a][-t sec][-krhnfFc][time][warning-message]
-a     Use /etc/shutdown.allow.
-t sec     Tell init to wait sec seconds between sending processes the
warning and the kill signal, before changing to another runlevel.
-k     Don't really shutdown; only send the warning messages to everybody.
-r     Reboot after shutdown.
-h     Halt after shutdown.
-n     Don't call init to do the shutdown but do it ourselves. The use
of this option is discouraged, and its results are not always what you'd
expect.
-f     Skip fsck on reboot.
-F     Force fsck on reboot.
-c     Cancel an already running shutdown. With this option it is of
course not possible to give the time argument, but you can enter an
explanatory message on the command line that will be sent to all users.
time     When to shutdown.
warning-message     Message to send to all users.

Examples

shutdown -c
cancel a running shutdown countdown

shutdown -r 5 system rebooting in five mins
shuts down the system and goes to a reboot after 5 mins, with a Wall
message to all logged in users

Steph