Re: [LUG] Ultra Mobile Laptop Power Rating Research

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009, tom wrote:

> I'm doing a little bit of research into the power consumption ratings on
> the power supplies for different makes and models of Ultra Mobile
> Laptops (Acer Aspire One's, Asus Eee's etc).
>
> I have a Aspire One (Model ZG5) which according to the power supply is
> rated  19V 1.58A  = 30.02 Watts. It got me thinking that 30Watts still
> seemed quite high, although my model does have a 120Gb mini HDD, so I
> want to compare different models and configurations.
>
> Therefore could owners of other makes / models please send me their
> equivalent ratings (Voltage & Amps, Make, Model, storage type (HDD /
> SSD) and size) off list.

Just to compare, my 2 year old Acer Aspire 5050 laptop has a 65W rated
PSU, runs at 48W when charging and turned off, 60W when charging and
booted and idle.

When idle and charged, it's sucking 28W, (cpu @ 800MHz) but when running
burnBX it sucks a whacking 51W. (cpu at 1.6GHz) Hm. Need to see what it
would be on battery... OK - On battery, running burnBX it told me it would
only last an hour (normally 2.5-3 hours!) and when on charge, it still
just sucked 60W, so I guess it would take a long time to charge when
active!

Gordon