Re: [LUG] marketing

Paul Sutton wrote:

> Simon Waters wrote:
>
>> One marketing comment from the Exwick Comm Centre chairman troubled me.
>>
>> He commented Ubuntu didn't need marketing because it is free.
>>
>> Of course it is competing with Microsoft who allegedly recently spent so
>> much on marketing one product they lost money on it because of the
>> marketing spend alone. But I don't think most folks realise just how big
>> their marketing effort is (and needs to be).
>>
>> Windows XP marketing budget $500 million for the launch.
>>
>> Do the maths - they are likely spending more on marketing than
>> development - makes it look like a ponzi scheme almost.
>>

> While Microsoft rely on events  etc to show case their new software we
> have each other,  armed with a laptop + install of ubuntu, i bet we can
> reach more people in a few hours between all of us

Oh I dunno about that, Microsoft have the Windows Developer Forum which
is even now covered by the BBC (take the recent Windows 7 coverage for
instance).
> we can not only show people ubuntu, but also let them play, and use it
> for a few minutes,  ask questions and most importantly of all take a cd
> away with them.  We can also show them they have choices, on
> distribution etc, desktopm etc etc.

Well that is good, but I think that really they may need more than a few
minutes.  I did demonstrate Ubuntu to one of the visitors to Exwick who
had a Mac (her hubby was interested because he used to develop in
Cobol).  She seemed interested and took a CD away but I'm not sure if
she was entirely convinced.  Still I did mention the fact that a lot of
the software bundled with Ubuntu is also available for the Mac too (for
instance OpenOffice.org 3 is now natively available for OSX on Intel).
> We may not be able to match what Microsoft do with all the glitz and
> glossy stuff, but if everyone put up 1 poster, we would certainly get
> the message out there,

True, well we can at least have a try.
> Don't see many MS posters in the local newsagent or in cafes,  I rekon
> we can really spread the word on FLOSS.

I don't see posters for Microsoft in the local newsagent's but I do see
a whole wad of PC magazines with in the case of WH Smiths a couple
dedicated to Vista.  Fortanately some of the PC magazines are now
putting Linux distros (some maybe even every other month) on their
coverdiscs.

Rob