Re: [LUG] HP decides UK doesn't want Linux

On 10/02/2009 16:08, Julian Hall wrote:
> 'HP is launching its new Mini 1000 Mi Edition netbook in the US, which
> comes with a custom Ubuntu Linux operating system. However, the company
> has said that it won't be launching the netbook in the UK, claiming that
> British consumers don't want Linux.'
>
> http://www.computershopper.co.uk/news/246826/hp-decides-uk-doesnt-want-linux.html?CMP=NLC-Newsletters

This is just the problem with these companies.  I mean they already BIOS
lock Windows XP and Vista to the manufacturers so why can't they just
carry on doing this (I mean BIOS locking Windows to a manufacturer) and
then let the customer decide what they want (i.e. provide two options,
buy a BIOS locked copy of XP or Vista which would include the HP OEM
licence key and BIOS locked media, and have a copy of the custom Ubuntu
restore media as the other option).  That way the customers can choose
what they want and pay for it.  Putting in a BIOS lock would mean that
the media only work on HP machines which will cut down somewhat on the
risk of piracy (okay it is possible to get around it but not without
having a hacked BIOS or bios loader which would put off casual pirates).

It's not as if they don't already do it for Office 2007 & Windows Server
(http://www.ebuyer.com/product/127128).

Rob