Re: [LUG] North Devon Meeting?

Mark Hajdukiewicz wrote:

> Is there anyone in charge of the
> group who has authority to make decisions

No.

I get the "admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" emails, but that is so folks can contact
us without bothering everyone.

I can look like I'm in charge if it makes people feel better ;)

I also had the money we'd collected, but aside from a few quid Neil has,
it has all been spent on posters, room hire, and such like.

> or is everything done by consensus?

Usually consensus, we've gone with simple majority voting for more
controversial decisions.

For various tasks members often have to make decisions. I believe we've
only censured one person once. Although the Linux v GNU/Linux debate got
a little heated.

> The reason I ask it that I am trying to get a venue without
> charge from an organisation that supports business using the following
> justification:
>
> "I thought you might be interested in helping us by providing a
> venue. I am sure there are many businesses who would be interested in
> using Linux to reduce their IT costs and they are welcome to join the
> group and/or attend meetings."
>
> Is this OK?

Looks good to me.

> Are there any issues with insurance and so on?

The group doesn't have any insurance itself, so you should ensure the
venue has some, most public venues have appropriate insurance.

Speak with Tom, as he has dealt with one-off insurances, if it becomes
an issue.

 Simon

“I’ve concluded that genius is as common as dirt. We suppress our genius
only because we haven’t yet figured out how to manage a population of
educated men and women. The solution, I think, is simple and glorious.
Let them manage themselves.” -- John Taylor Gatto