[LUG] Encrypted filesystem, was: Microsoft announce something

2009/2/4 Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On 04/02/2009 11:29, Paul Sutton wrote:
>> for example File system encryption comes with pretty much every version,
>>   so even home users can have a decent level of encryption.
>>
> Does it?

Yes. Has done for ages. However it is only currently available when
installed from the alternate or netinst text based installation CDs.

> As far as I was aware as least as far as Ubuntu is concerned,
> only 8.10 has support for an encrypted Private directory by default.
> Sure it's possible to add Truecrypt but I wouldn't go as far as saying
> it's easy enough for anyone to do with a couple of clicks.  Truecrypt on
> Windows looks to be dead easy to use though.

Whilst it's not available on the Live CD, it's actually pretty
painless to do using the alternate CD.

Cheers,
Al.