Re: [LUG] Slightly OT: New Enta packages announced

> On Mon, 2 Feb 2009, Rob Beard wrote:
>

>> Hi folks,
>>
>> It looks like the new details of packages have been released by Enta.
>>   The details can be found here [1] (from the UKFSN) web site but I
>> presume it will be pretty much the same for all Enta resellers...
>>

> Well Enta haven't seen fit to email me about the updates yet, but I
> suspect I'm *much* further down the pecking order than UKFSN!
>
> However there is all the information about it on the partners website.
> Looks like "all change" from the 30th of March.

Yep, at least they have given pretty good notice this time around rather
than something like 14 days as originally planned.
> Looks like their traffic management will change too and "high bandwidth
> users" will be targetted with "an alternative set of rules". (if you get
> caught more than "5 times in a 14 day period", but only when the traffic
> management is in-place on the node you are connected to. So if you happen
> to land on a lighly used node, then download all you can eat, but if the
> node gets busy, then everyone will get throttled in 500Kbps steps, but
> "high bandwidth users" will get throttled more.
>
> > From the document:
>
>     What is the ALT?
>
>     The ALT is an innovative tool that has been introduced into the Entanet
>     network to maximise performance for all users and to ensure any latency
>     and packet loss is kept to a minimum at times of stress. Whereas other
>     providers control and restrict several key protocols, Entanet believes
>     that it is not for the provider to decide which traffic is a priority
>     for the individual user. As such the ALT still allows end users to
>     utilise their connection for their required purposes.
>
> I'm guessing it's the backhaul from each node to Enta HQ that's the
> bottleneck here (Gb or multiple Gb links?), but they won't give that
> information out due to it's "commercial sensitivity".
>
> I'll bring a copy of the current "partner pack" along on Saturday for
> anyone who's intersted.

I'd be interested although I'll be in Exeter on Saturday.  Maybe you
could bring it along next time too?

I'm a bit confused with these nodes, according to the Enta Choice
Central Checker I'm on the Slough node however when I checked on the
ADSL24 checker my exchange (Shiphay Collaton) is connected to Milton
Keynes where as Teignmouth is connected to Slough.

>> [1] http://www.ukfsn.org/newadslproducts.html
>>
>> Doesn't look as bad as originally thought.  I'm on the Office 45
>> connection at the moment which gives me 45GB peak allowance and 300GB
>> off peak so if anything it means I'll just get unlimited bandwidth
>> (albeit possibly throttled if I download too much or slower if there's
>> high usage on the node).
>>

> I'm on the same package too - and it's what I suggest for all my customers
> too, however, I might just drop down to the Business 15 as it's more than
> enough for my needs and all my bulk transfers (remote backups, etc.)
> happen overnight....

Looking at my usage I think I'd have to stick with the Business 45.
  I've used 20GB so far this month in peak time (that 250MB .Net 3
update for XP didn't help!).
>> If anything I'd rather be on this than something like Talktalk with
>> their 40GB a month limits (I use well over 40GB a month although most of
>> it tends to be off-peak usage although now with the new packages on Enta
>> I might try and change my browsing/downloading habits to spread out over
>> the month).
>>

> Good thinking!

:-)

Rob