Re: [LUG] forum?

On Friday 30 January 2009 17:25, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> equipment, but what we found was that when the packet size got to below
> about 130 bytes, then the access points gave up because the link
> tun-around time was longer than the packet transmission time.
>
> Wi-Fi really is optimised to stream data, so big back to back 1500 byte
> packets in one direction and small ACK packets in the other. Mix just one
> file copy with VoIP and you'll find your average AP will struggle and VoIP
> quality will suffer.
Thats extremely noisy stuff there!
I'd never call 1500 bytes a big packet and I've never really understood why
VOIP is so bitty and horrible when I can get several hundred kbps HTML on the
same link - I'm fairly convinced that badly setup VOIP
(point->exchange->point) is the real problem here - and I bet Skype squeeze
free calls even further. Or perhaps VOIP and basic packet switching needs
reviewing. Even on the end of the long piece of string BT get me here I can
get many megabytes without a single error and thats a lot of wasted packet
headers. I don't think theres anything in TCP/IP that says you have to have
inefficient protocols.
Tom te tom te tom