Re: [LUG] forum?

Benjamin M. A'Lee wrote:

> I hate forums with a passion. They do nothing that mailing lists or
> Usenet don't do, and they do it in a way that locks you into a single
> interface. If you must do this sort of thing, a web interface to a
> newsgroup or mailing list would be the best solution. They also seem to
> be a common source of security problems - everybody writes their own
> forum, reinventing the wheel and full of the same SQL injection and XSS
> problems as all the others.

Hehe, OpenSRS just traded their mailing list for a forum.

Now instead of getting an email I can reply to, I get an email with a
generic heading saying someone has posted something to the forum, and a
link that takes my browser to that page. So I have to read every blimin
(html - sigh) email to figure out if someone said anything worth
responding to.

The better forums offer RSS feeds, but even there most are pretty poor
compared to a simple mailing list.