[LUG] Dansguardian

Hi folks,

I just wondered if anyone could clarify this for me.  I'm attempting to
install Dansguardian on Ubuntu which is in the repositories.  Now
according to the Dansguardian web site
(http://dansguardian.org/?page=copyright2) it is licenced under the GPL 2.

To quote the site...

      ---

      DansGuardian 2 - the summary

DansGuardian 2 is:

    * licensed under the GPL version 2
    * Open Source
    * Free Software where 'Free' means Freedom
    * freely (no cost) downloadable from this site for non-commercial use
    * freely (no cost) downloadable from this site for general purpose
      unix distributions like FreeBSD, Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu, etc
    * not freely downloadable /from this site/ for installation by 3rd
      parties charging for installation or support
    * not freely downloadable /from this site/ for commercial use
    * a registered trade mark of Daniel Barron
    * copyright Daniel Barron

      DansGuardian 2 - download from this site restrictions for
      commercial use

For all non-commercial^[1] use you are free, without cost, allowed to
download DansGuardian from this site.

For all commercial^[2] use permission to download DansGuardian from this
website is restricted.

The restrictions on the downloading for commercial use /from this site/
are that you may only download it once for free. This will enable you to
try out the software before making a decision to purchase a commercial
licence to download it. In order to download updates, bug fixes, etc,
from this site you must purchase a download licence. Once you have a
copy of the software there are no restrictions on use commercial or
otherwise. It is purely GPL software. You can download or obtain
DansGuardian from many sources and I place no restriction on those. It
is only the downloading from this site that is restricted.

---

Now am I correct in thinking that if you want to use Dansguardian for
commercial use you now have to get it from alternative sources (i.e.
from your distro repositories) OR pay for a download licence to download
it from the official site?

I presume that the 'download licence' he is talking about is to cover
the cost of his bandwidth fees for his web site (I presume his site gets
a fair whack of hits) but not actually using Dansguardian itself (so for
instance if you use it in a commercial environment you can use the copy
shipped in the distro repositories but you'd have to wait for them to
release updates rather than just going to his site for updates & fixes?

Just wanted to make sure of this as I'm hoping to implement Dansguardian
for one of my clients.  Presumably the actual program is covered under
the GPL so once you get it from another site you can do what you want
with it as long as it doesn't go against the GPL?

Ta,

Rob