Re: [LUG] Power Consumption

On Thursday 22 January 2009 22:26, Grant Sewell wrote:

> Giving up so soon?

Yup, I'm constantly seeking El Dorad'o :)

> Are you not curious what's causing the issue in the
> first place?  (It'd drive me nuts not knowing... even if it turns out
> to be something that I have neither the inclination nor capability to
> change, I'd still want to know what it was).

Having first worked in the world of electronics 50+ years ago I know the
feeling!

When I booted up from cold, into the Xfce desktop a few minutes ago, the power
meter still showed the higher consumption rate as it did with the KDE
display- but no constant fan running this time.  The fan then came on after I
had downloaded my emails and had started reading them.  The fan is now
running intermittently (as time goes by almost constantly).

I'm annoyed by the fan noise and puzzled by the high wattage.  There's
obviously some process (es) causing the CPU to work hard, but as it doesn't
appear to be generic to either default Linux installations or the laptop, the
easiest way is to install another distro.  Over the past 6 years I've always
been able to slap an iso into this machine, accept the default/auto settings,
and never had any problems with the result (apart from RH/Fedora).

The fan is now running constantly and the meter reads 73w instead of 47w for
Xubuntu et al :(

--
W.  Devon