[LUG] OT: Annoying 800 meg Vista update

Hi folks,

I thought you'd find this proof of bloatware amusing.

Last night I was updating one of my clients sites (Windows Updates on
Vista).  I'd put in an IPCop box running Update Accelerator to try and
ease the bandwidth use (they have a 1MBit ADSL connection).  Now Update
Accelerator downloads the updates, caches them and passes them along to
Windows.  It seemed to be taking ages though and I checked the log to
find that one update was about 800MB.  I checked the web and found that
this update was to add a couple of words to the English & German spell
checker.  God knows how many words they were adding but at 800MB
(compressed!) I'm starting to see why Vista takes around 15GB.  That was
a Vista update too, I hadn't started on the Office 2007 updates by then.

Suffice to say, I'm going to push for them to look at alternatives, it
might not happen straight away but hopefully in the future they'll make
the change.

Rob