Re: [LUG] Ubuntu Samba

On 15/01/2009 14:27, peter wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have had problems logging into a Ubuntu Machine from windows.  This
> has not bothered me until now as I think I am getting the same problem
> getting my Internet radio to log into my music on a Ubuntu machine.
>
> A quick google makes it appear that this may be a bug?
>
> All the best
>
> Peter L-J

Can you post your smb.conf for us to have a look at?

I've found that in the past if I share a folder and only allow specific
users (such as myself) then I have to also add the user using smbpasswd...

So if I have an account on my PC called bob I also need to run the
following command in a terminal...

sudo smbpasswd -a bob

This will prompt for bob's password.

Then when I connect to my PC from a Windows machine I simply enter the
following in the run box...

\\myubuntubox\bob

It will prompt for a username and password if I'm logged in using a
username and password that don't match.

I can also however enter the following into a command prompt to map the
drive...

net use X: \\myubuntubox\bob /user:bob bobspassword

If you enter the password after /user:<username> it will not prompt for
the password although it could be considered a bit of a security risk.

HTH

Rob