Re: [LUG] OT: UKFSN problems this morning

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009, Rob Beard wrote:

> On 14/01/2009 08:49, Henry Bremridge wrote:
>> For those who use UKFSN, they were upgrading their lines last night and this
>> morning:
>> - Connections to some US sites are broken
>> - VoIP does not seem to work
>>
>> Entanet "are aware of the problem"...
>>

> Is it just supposed to be affecting UKFSN or Enta as a whole?  I'm with
> an Enta reseller and things seem okay here.

It is/was Enta as a whole, although it seems OK now. (I'm an Entanet
reseller in a similar way to UKFSN)

> Saying that though, I've put in a request to leave Enta due to their
> possible peak and off peak time changes...
> http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/showthreaded.php?Board=entanet&Number=3535483

What Enta want to do is move the ADSL2 connections to the same format as
their ADSL2+ connections, where off-peak is midnight to 8am. For me, this
isn't going to be much of an issue as almost all my customers are business
ones, so rarely in the office after 6pm anyway, but the business ADSL2
service has of-peak from 8pm to 8am (residential 10pm to 8am).

I'd like to ask, moving it 2 hours is hardly cause to leave them, is it?
The only poeple it might affect is the massive p2p users...

However they withdrew that announcement - probably after being told that
14 days notice was not enough.

I suspect they'll want to move the data caps in the same way too where you
buy "top-ups" if you need to go over the cap. These top-up's don't expire
though, so if you buy a 10GB top-up and only use 5GB of it, the remainder
is carried over. Weird scheme, but probably reasonable.

What I do like about Enta is that they're reasonably clear about their
network usage - and fully clear about the limits, caps, etc. unlike some
ISPs who have rather "wooly" "Acceptable Use" policys ...

Saying that, they've just cut-off a customer of mine because they didn't
get the direct debit - because the customer changed company names, sent in
a DD from the new company, but they didn't update their systems
internally. Oh the joy I'm going to have sorting that one out )-:

> Looks like there is something on the routing problems here:
> http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/showthreaded.php?Board=entanet&Number=3544704

Enta did post that they were upgrading a router in Telehouse Metro on
http://noc.enta.net/ but I guess it didn't work out quite as planned...

Cheers,

Gordon