Re: [LUG] Sony Ericsson software.

On 09/01/2009 21:17, ian_nichols@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Posted by "Ian Nichols"<ian_nichols@xxxxxxx>
>

> > From a Linux novice, I have downloaded the following files: Sony Ericsson P.C.
> > Suite_4.006.00 EN,exe and Update_Service_Setup-2.8.12.9.exe Both files are shown
> > as windows executable. They are happily sitting in my download file. My
> > questions are, are they compatible with my Linux system (Mandriva powerpack
> > 2008),   how do I install them/allow them to run so that I may connect my phone
> > to the PC for updates etc.
> Any help most appreciated as I am still feeling my way round the system.
> --

As per the other comments, Wine can be used to run some Windows software
but you'd probably find that the Sony Erricson software would require a
driver and cable.

If you were to go down the Virtual Box route you would most probably
need the version for Personal/Evaluation use as this supports USB (as
far as I know the Open Source version doesn't).  You'd need  to also
install a copy of Windows into the Virtual Box 'virtual machine'.  To be
honest you may find that if you just want to do a software update, if
you don't have Windows still installed on your PC you might be worth
asking a friend with Windows to run the update program for you so you
can update your phone.

On the other hand, if you want to just connect your phone to your PC in
Linux to backup messages/contacts etc then you might be worth having a
look at this - http://tuxmobil.org/phones_survey_ericsson.html

As you don't mention which phone you have you will have to try and find
your phone in this list.  You may find that you can use either Bluetooth
(assuming you have Bluetooth on your machine either built in or via a
dongle), Infra Red (assuming you have infrared built in, quite a few
notebooks do) or with a standard USB cable (assuming you got one with
your phone)..

Unfortunately the situation at the moment is fairly grim.  A lot of
mobile phone companies just tend to release their software for Windows
(or in some cases for Macs too), I don't think I've ever seen any
official phone software for Linux from the manufacturers.

Rob