Re: [LUG] Viglen Swap - I hate UUID's!

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jan 2009, Neil Stone wrote:
>

>> I actually change ALL the UUIDs to device node names...
>>

> Same here. Can't be doing with this new fangled scheme.. You know where
> you are with a good old-fashioned partion table and real devices. None of
> this udev malarkey either!
>
> Gordon (old fart) Henderson

Although I think it's a nice idea, I found one huge problem with
UUIDs... they're not necessarily unique.

When I was taking my USB-powered 2.5in harddrive from computer to
computer at College, I thought I could use the machine's own harddrive's
UUIDs to uniquely identify the computer and thus be able to apply
specific settings. Nope. All the machines were created from the same
Ghost image so the UUIDs of their partitions were also identical. Oops.

Grant.