Re: [LUG] Acer aspire with Linux lite connection problem...

I got one of these working okay. It did have the drivers, but no support
in the GUI. The device should appear as /dev/ttyUSB_utps_modem. If you
see this device, then the driver is okay. You need to configure a dialer
and ppp. Alt-F2 to get the terminal window up.

install wvdial : sudo yum install wvdial

I used the following /etc/wvdial.conf

[Dialer Defaults]
Username = web
Password = web
New PPPD = yes
Auto DNS = no
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB_utps_modem
Phone = *99***1#
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ISDN = 0
Baud = 7200000

[Dialer Three]
Init4 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","3internet"

[Dialer Vodafone]
Init4 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet"

[Dialer TMobile]
Init4 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","general.t-mobile.uk"
#FIN

edit /etc/ppp/peers/wvdial to be:

noauth
name wvdial
noipdefault

You should now be able to run wvdial in a terminal.

wvdial Vodafone

This should connect, and give you an ip address. Nearly there.

There seems to be a problem with the way the DNS server is reported by
some ISPs. I'm not sure what causes it, but I've found that the reported
DNS servers do not work. The line "Auto DNS = off" and the absence of
'usepeerdns' in the ppp file should prevent the /etc/resolv.conf from
being overwritten with the wrong data. You therefore need to provide
your own nameserver. I use opendns:

So create a file /etc/resolv.conf.force containing:

search site
# opendns servers :
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220

I just created a script in ~/ to cp this over /etc/resolv.conf and then
run wvdial:

#!/bin/bash
cp /etc/resolv.conf.force /etc/resolv.conf
wvdial Vodafone

You will need to run this as root. I just created a menu entry by
copying a suitable file to /usr/share/applications/mobilenet.desktop and
editing this to execute the script above.

You can use *xfce-setting-show *to enable right clicking the menus (see
http://www.laptopmag.com/advice/how-to/aspire-one-apps.aspx?step=3 ) and
you can access the now script from the desktop.

This is probably a daft way of solving the problem, and I'm sure there
is a better way, but it worked for me (having never used one of these
lovely laptops before).

Good luck

Dave Berkeley