Re: [LUG] Devon Finances: Guestimated cost of non opensource: £130 ,000 pa

On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 07:35:03PM +0000, Paul Sutton wrote:
> Hi
>
> Just looking at the torbay council budget thing which is published on
> their website,
>
> http://www.torbay.gov.uk/index/council/financial_services/budget.htm
>
> Has details of the differnet department and budgets

It seems that IT policy is effectively controlled by the DCC and the last I heard
was the regional councils are banding together to improve efficiencies: presumably
in purchase and may be in bespoke software. (Whether the policy is right or wrong is
a separate matter). Having said that the key question that this document does not
answer is the following:

Of their IT budget of £3m, how much money do they spend on software licenses and
what software is in use. This as has been pointed out is commercially sensitive.

I approximated the figures for Devon by finding out how many machines are licensed
for MS office; and then assuming that the MS applications license fee is £20pa; and
that the cost of the operating system is a one time cost of £20 per machine. I have
excluded costs of antivirus, firewalls etc etc

From this my basic premise is that DCC as a whole are spending approximately an
extra £130,000 on unnecessary software.

From google:

        The population of Devon is about 1,000,000.
        The population of Torbay is about 131,000

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.