Re: [LUG] [Fwd: BBC iPlayer now available on Mac]

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 10:27:26PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:

> Not to mention that *none* of the required software for GNU/Linux is
> remotely free. Do people really think so little of the freedoms granted
> via the OS that they are willing to put up with this non-free rubbish,
> just for a repeat??

> Don't come looking for support when this lot breaks - or if you want to
> use the non-free stuff on GNU/Linux with non-x86 architectures.
>
> It needs to be free to make it worth having, you need access to the
> source code to make it work properly with the rest of your free OS.
>
> http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/drm.html
>
> http://defectivebydesign.org/

Speaking of which:

http://www.linux.com/feature/155919

As a regular browser of the [60]Firefox Add-ons site, I'm troubled by the apparent
proliferation of proprietary extensions in the last year. Maybe I've simply
exhausted the free-licensed extensions that interest me, but recently every
interesting-looking extension seems to be a proprietary one -- especially in the
recommended list. Nothing, of course, in the Mozilla [61]privacy or [62]legal notice
prohibits proprietary extensions simply because they are proprietary, but I find
them not only contrary to the spirit of free and open source software (FOSS), but,
often, annoying attempts to entangle me in some impossible startup.

Unquote

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.