Re: [LUG] Backup solutions

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonathan Roberts" <jonrob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2008 3:19 PM
Subject: [LUG] Backup solutions

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering what methods people use for backup, and if they have
> any recommendations? I've decided it's time I take backup a little
> more seriously, following on from some hideous data accidents
> recently.
>
> I have a spare system that I could set up as a server too.... was
> hoping for a technique where I'd be able to access backed up data in a
> browsable folder so that restoring was nice and easy.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jon
>
> --

Bacula is the most comprehensive solution that I have found.

It can be  fully automated, can deal with networked hosts including windows
and can be induced to highlight failures should they occur, to an Email
address - ie. you spot it!!.

Provided you have given to its consideration at the outset, it can allow for
bare metal recovery of any of your hosts (including windows machines) plus
any interim recovery you might need - from individual files 'accidentally
deleted/overwritten' through to checkpointed system recovery.

It uses full, incremental and/or differential techniques in whatever
combination you wish and can write to almost any media - I personally write
backups to a RAID disc array thus giving a secondary recovery path.

It automatically deals with recycling 'out of date' recovery resources and
thus can be pretty much left to its own devices.

It seems daunting to set up - but is in fact extremely logical and
straightforward if you take the time to inwardly digest the comprehensive
manual.

Available on Sourceforge.

Hope this helps

David