Re: [LUG] Configure problem

Neil Williams wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 15:24:02 +0000
> Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Usually, using Kubuntu, I don't go through the configure, make, make
>> install r1gmarole. However yesterday I did try to install a program
>> in that way.
>
> $ sudo apt-get install build-essential
> ?
Thanks. I installed that and the process now worked.

>> In configure I got an error message ...
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> checking whether ln -s works... yes
>> checking for gcc... gcc
>> checking for C compiler default output file name...
>> configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
>
> Usually a mis-configuration in the package or a missing g++ (if the
> package uses C++).
>
>> See `config.log' for more details.
>
> And? what does config.log say?
>
>> I did look at the log, but could not fathom out the problem.
>
> Paste it somewhere.
>
>> And,
>> yes, GCC is installed.
>
> g++ might not be.

Yes, G++ is installed.

>> I could not understand the reference to 'main'
>> either.
>
> Check the ./configure script - what is happening is that ./configure is
> writing a test program that contains 'main' and it then tries to
> compile it - when it fails.

I have now finished the installation and have tried to start the program
(Gambas). I had a few messages about missing components eg gb.qt.ext. I
found these under gambas2 in adept and installed them all so far.

However the latest message leaves me puzzled. I try to start gambas2 in
a terminal screen and get another error ...

ERROR: #2: Cannot load class 'Project': Unable to load class file

Now I am lost again. Can you tell me what is missing please. I have
searched for 'class' and 'project' in adept but without success.

Many thanks from one Neil to another

Neil Winchurst