[LUG] C++

Hi

The subject of C++ has come up on another group.  (Basically Java is
being rubbished (only good for coffee machines (hence its name)).  Any
second now Visual Basic will surface!  (The subject is table top
wargaming).  However...

My recollection is one has different flavours of C++, particularly as
regards the GUI (or API).  I do not think for instance that I can
compile Microsoft C++ on my linux machine  (The stuff is just not in the
libaries?).

Before I stick my neck out and offer advice I am asking here to be sure
of my facts before giving any. (If he wants to write in C++ that's his
problem, however it would be nice if all platforms could run his game
(which brings us back to Java (VBG).  In any case another member is
talking of porting stuff to Linux.

I know there is an ANSI C but is there a C++.  Or a way that makes the
code work with the GNU C++ compiler.

Thanks in advance

Peter L-J