[LUG] xresets when trying to use video hardwre

I seem to have an odd issue with x,  but its 3d hardware related or
something

I have installed the codeweavers crossover application
if I select

install a windows game, from the kde menu system, it works fine, i get a
splash screen for a few seconds, (if you install the program you will
know the one I mean)

I then get a blank screen, with lots of coloured boxes on it,  so at
this point the display looks rather corrupted,  after which I am back to
my x login screen, using kdm, as I am running kde.

If I use console apps like infobash, which is like uname -a but gives
info on graphics hardware,  the same thing happens, x restarts, so its
as if its sending ctrl-alt-backspace to the system.

I am at a loss,  it did this in etch, and the issue has not gone away.

anyone else had similar issues, before i start reinstalling stuff (like
nvidia drivers etc)

I can run simple kde games no problem, its the more complex stuff that
won't run, so thats stuff using openGL and I assume some of the better
features of the Nvidia card. geforce 4

thanks

Paul